July 1, 2008

Thurston's Lava Tube

This is the entrance to Thurston's Lava Tube in Volcano National Park. Half of the lava tube is lit, and then if you want to do the rest of the lava tube, you have to bring your own flashlight! And yes, you know we did the dark part with our own flashlight!

This is the entrance to the dark scary part of the lava tube. I was a little scared and wanted to turn around half way in, but I'm glad Ryan convinced me to go to the end of the lava tube. It was super freaky, but really cool. I kept imagining the entire lava tube caving in on us!
Inside the pitch black darkness.... This is the end of the lava tube. We made it. And we made it out alive and well :)

4 comments:

Dianne C said...

Mal--you are a brave woman to go clear to the end of the lava tube. I think I would have chickened out completely.

Ken and Amy said...

I know I would've chickened out! I couldn't do it!

Anonymous said...

N-E-A-T-O!!!

Anonymous said...

What a great adventure you guys are having. Yes you are brave. I would be sitting in the car...