November 22, 2009

wilton cake decorating class

I love decorating cakes! It's my new favorite hobby. The only problem is that I am incapable of making my mom's devil's food cake from scratch. Every time I make it, it falls completely flat in the center. It is so sad. This picture is try #4. I mean are you kidding me?!!?? A home-EC teacher that can't make a home made cake. That is just sad! Luckily there are a million recipes to make the "perfect box cake recipe" slightly tweaked. You add more eggs and buttermilk. Anyways, I'm still working on my recipes, and I can make other cakes from scratch that don't fall in....I'm just saying :)
So I took the Wilton Method Cake Decorating class at Michale's with my friend Chelsea and her sister Sydney in October. It was so fun. It is 4 weeks and you learn so much about cakes and decorating properly. You can tell that my cake decorating skills DRAMATICALLY get better as the weeks go by.
Here is Week #1
Week #2
Week #3 .....could seriously be in a bakery! boooo ya! I mean check out those roses :)

4 comments:

Janie Mann said...

Mallory I love your cakes, they are awesome!!! I am into TRYING to decorate cakes and cupcakes etc. too .... :) hehe

casey.chelsea.cali said...

Yea!!! You finally posted pictures of the cakes! I have to say I am thoroughly impressed by cake #3. You definitely would have been awarded most improved for the class, had the teacher given out awards:) I need to call you. I have some exciting news!!!

Rachel said...

your cakes are great! Mine would never look tht good.

Nicole said...

Is the class worth it? My mom bought me the kit and book for course 1 for my birthday! Your cakes are definately bakery worthy.