July 10, 2009

al-clad saved my apartment

So I pretty much almost burned my whole apartment complex down two weeks ago. We got home to our house and our neighbor told us she thought something was on fire in our house. Smoke was coming into their house and the smoke alarm was going off in ours for like an hour. Ryan opened the door and there was A WALL of smoke. Literally we could not see 3 feet in front of us. Immediately I remembered I had forgotten and left the house with chicken breast boiling on the stove. It was sooooo embarrassing. I felt SO BAD.
There was 1 cop, 2 fire trucks, a little fire and rescue SUV, and 2 ambulances. It was crazy! But honestly everyone was so nice. I was worried they would be total jerks to me for being so stupid, but the cops and firemen were so nice. I was crying and crying and really got freaked out when they tested the hose water pressure in the lawn. I had a mental imagine a water shooting all through our house. Luckily only a little water dribble got into our house since it was only a pan fire.
Here is the pan! See what I mean by "al-clad saved my life"........ if this was a cheap plastic pot our whole kitchen would have been up in flames. The fireman told us they thought they were going to find flames when they got here based on what our neighbors had reported. They said since there was so much smoke in our neighbors house that was a "sign" of real flames....
Here is a fireman's boot print in our bath tub from them opening all the windows. It was a very traumatic day to say the least. Our whole house smelt AWFUL.....seriously just like a camp fire. Our landlord's homeowners insurance has already had a restoration company clean everything in our house. I MEAN EVERYTHING. They were literally cleaning the cords behind our washing machine. The carpets were cleaned, the air ducts were cleaned......we have washed EVERY PIECE OF CLOTHING.........all of our bedding! Then they had this "o-zone" machine come which changes o2 to o3. It will bleach anything that is wet and you will die from being in the room since there is no oxygen. It made it not smell like smoke but rather a weird plastic smell. It is still an ongoing process. Our landlord is not happy with the smell yet, so who knows. We might have to change the carpets and re-paint too.
On a funny side note- when we thought everything in our house was on fire we were laughing (after the fact) of what we were both sad that we were going to lose in the house. Ryan was thinking of our TV and electronics......I was thinking of my cookbooks, all of my new teacher supplies to decorate my classroom and our couch. Funny the difference in guys and girls.

3 comments:

meng said...

that is so crazy! you guys are so lucky that it wasn't worse! you have inspired me to get better pans! hope you are doing well! call us if you are going to be in vegas!

Anonymous said...

I learned years ago when we were evacuating for fire that things are only things.But,the mess? Yuck!! Chuck it up to "live and learn". You only do that once so your good to go!

thesmithfamilyupdate2 said...

i couldn't look at your all-clad pan in the picture well enough - my eyes kept being drawn to the massive bunion on mom's foot in the corner of the picture. :)

how do you spell bunion anyway? :)