September 16, 2009

aldine isd

I'm so proud I almost shed a tear! Aldine Independent School District, where I did my student teaching in Houston, was just name the "Best Urban School District in the Nation"!!!! Uuuuunnnnnnnn, give me some of that! See it for yourself here. They were awarded $1,000,000 to be given in scholarships to some of Aldine's graduating seniors. Aldine has about 60,000 students in the district. I hope I can teach there when we move back next year!
"The annual prize, sponsored by California philanthropists Eli and Edythe Broad, honors urban districts that boast gains in student achievement and success at narrowing the performance gap between students of different ethnicities and family income levels.

Contest officials noted that Hispanic and low-income students in Aldine outperformed their peers statewide in reading and math at all school levels in 2008. Black students scored higher than their counterparts in math at all levels, but fell behind in reading in elementary school. Aldine also drew praise for its “clear, rigorous expectations for teachers and principals” and its aggressive recruitment of top-notch teachers.

A panel of eight judges, including three former U.S. education secretaries, decided on the winner. Last year's Broad (pronounced “brode”) prize recipient was Brownsville ISD. The Houston Independent School District was the first award winner, in 2002."

5 comments:

megan said...

Oh no they dinnnnttt!

Congrats Mal!

Hilarie said...

All of the winners are in Texas! Uuuuunnnnnn! Whose behind me? Whose behind me?

Anonymous said...

You went from there to her? Poor girl..........

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
holly said...

I'm so glad you saw this. I heard it today on the news. I was so proud!